Monday, October 5, 2009

Ring Them Bells, Post Mortem

We finished "Ring Them Bells" and got it in the current Song Fight!! We've got some good competition this round. I'm enjoying the entries from Boltoph and Panna Cotta Army. Go check out the fight!

We wound up using our live tracks for our entry, though in a somewhat edited form. I managed to edit the song into a structure that people were OK with. I shortened the intro to the second verse, shortened the whole bridge, stuck in a verse with a solo over it between the bridge and the chorus, and kept the whole outro. Other than my solo (which is pretty sweet, if I do say so myself), Ken added some synth tracks, which I edited and supplemented a bit. I also put a few handclaps in the final chorus. (I mixed this one, too.) For the piece de resistance, though, Erin stepped in and did the vocals and wrote the lyrics. Glen and Martin and I had all been taken whacks at some vocals and lyrics but none of the ideas had really seemed fitting to the song to me yet, so I was really happy Erin came on board. She did a great job providing some more pop sound to the song, and I think her vocals in the outro are especially pretty.

Ken and Glen and I are still piecing together a cover song for a Song Fight! hxaro. In Song Fight! a "hxaro" is an event in which a bunch of folks secretly cover a particular Song Fight! participant's songs and present them on the SF! bulletin board all at once as a gift. Glen and I in particular are excited about this hxaro and this song, and we've done some fun guitar solos for it that we hope the recipient will appreciate. I think we've just got a few little vocals parts left to record, and then Ken's going to work his mixing magic on this one.

Otherwise, a new title is up: "Monkeys On My Back", due on the 15th, so we've got two Tuesday nights to work on this one again. I wonder what we'll come up with this time?

No comments:

Post a Comment